BC Graduation Program
BC Graduation Dogwood Diploma – At a Glance
Alexander Academy’s internationally diverse community representing over 30 countries, makes us the most sought-after private high school in Downtown Vancouver. We cultivate compassionate, open-minded problem-solvers who can help make our world a better place.
Alexander Academy’s BC Graduation Program is certified by the province of British Columbia. The B.C. Certificate of Graduation also known as the “British Columbia Dogwood Diploma” is awarded to students who successfully complete the British Columbia provincial graduation requirements.
Students hoping to gain entrance to a Canadian or International university will be well-equipped with our graduation certificate.
Our approach to maintain high achievement is by engaging students in their own learning and fostering the skills and competency they will need to succeed. Our curriculum enables some ports personalized learnings through quality teaching and learning, flexibility of choice, high standards.
Our curriculum model has three common components:
- Core Competencies
The Core Competencies are the foundation to our curriculum and all areas of the learnings. The three core competency categories are Communication, Thinking, and Personal and Social.
- Big Ideas
The Big Idea component represents what students understand each area of learning and the content is what the students are expected to know.
- Learning Standards
The Learning Standards are the expectations of learning in each area of learning.
All of the elements are woven together in the following manner:
Our flexible learning environment allows students to learn anywhere not just in the classrooms. The integration of technology also allows teachers to offer our curriculum in creative ways. Learning at Alexander Academy is enriched through collaboration involving members of the community. Teachers bring these experiences to their students’ learning when possible.
B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma)
The B.C Certificate of Graduation, or Dogwood Diploma, is awarded to students who successfully complete the provincial graduation requirements. To graduate, students require at least 80 credits total.
52 credits are required from the following:
- Physical and Health Education 10 (4 credits).
- Science 10 (4 credits), and a Science 11 or 12 (4 credits).
- A Math 10 (4 credits), and a Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits).
- A Math 10 (4 credits), and a Math 11 or 12 course (4 credits).
- A Language Arts 10, 11, and a required 12 course (4 credits required at each Grade, 12 credits total).
- An Arts Education 10, 11, or 12 and/or an Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits total).
- Career-Life Education (4 credits), and Career-Life Connections (4 credits).
- At least 28 credits must be elective course credits.
- At least 16 credits must be at the Grade 12 level. Including a required Language Arts 12 course and the Career-Life Connections course.
In addition, students must also complete three Provincial Graduation Assessments:
- Grade 10 Literacy Assessment;
- Grade 10 Numeracy Assessment; and
- Grade 12 Literarcy Assessment.
Request More Information✖
- Book a private campus tour
- Attend Student-for-a-Day
- Join an Open House
- Attend an information session
- Request an information package
- Ask any questions